Hughes Bros. is committed to respecting the privacy of all visitors to its website (the ‘website’) and of its clients, employees and contacts. This Privacy Notice provides information for you to understand how we use and secure the personal data that is provided to us by you or that we obtain or hold about you and to understand what your rights are in relation to personal data that we hold.
What is Personal Data?
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as:
“any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
What Personal Data does Hughes Bros. process?
From our website: You may choose to provide personal information such as your name, title, postal address, telephone number and/or email address to us if you register with the website
Automatically: We may also collect information automatically about your usage of our websites using cookies and other technology. We may use your IP address to collect and data regarding your browser type and computer. If you do not want to receive cookies, you may reject them by using your browser settings however this may result in an impaired experience of our website.
For Purchases: If you seek to purchase our goods, products or services we may also need information to confirm your identity, your bank details or credit card details.
From third parties: We may also receive information about you from third parties.
How does Hughes Bros use this information?
We will use your information for the specific purpose(s) for which it has been provided to or collected by us as follows:
- to provide information that you may request regarding the services or products that we offer;
- in order to contract with you;
- to comply with any statutory and regulatory obligations;
- to deal with your feedback, query or complaint;
- to contact you for your views on our services;
We also use your information to administer, support, improve and develop our business generally and to enforce our legal rights.
We may also use the information that we collect about you for marketing purposes as follows:
- to provide communications about us and other services we provide that may be of interest to you.
- to provide you with updates on our products or services
- to contact you about other activities and events that we may undertake
Information gathered through cookies and similar technologies are used to measure and analyse information on visits to our websites, to tailor the websites to make them better for visitors and to improve technical performance. We will not use the data to identify you personally or to make any decisions about you.
We must have a lawful basis for processing your information; this will vary on the circumstances of how and why we have your information but typical examples include:
- the activities are within our legitimate interests as a company seeking to engage with and provide products or services to prospective and current customers and for our internal administration; or,
- you have given consent for us to process your information; or,
- we are carrying out necessary steps in relation to a contract to purchase goods or services to which you are party or prior to you entering into a contract; or,
- the processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject; or,
- to protect your vital interests.
If we process any special categories of information i.e. information revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs or trade union membership, processing of genetic or biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying individuals, health data, or data concerning your sex life or sexual orientation, we must have a further lawful basis for the processing. This may include:
- where you have given us your explicit consent to do so; or,
- where the processing is necessary to protect your vital interests or someone else’s vital interests; or
- you have made the information public; or,
- the processing being necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.
If you become a corporate customer of Hughes Bros, we may use your information to send you information that we think may be of interest to you or your business.
If you are an individual customer you will be given an opportunity to tell us whether or not you wish to receive direct marketing materials and communications from us either at the time you submit or provide your details to us and/or within the communication itself.
If you do not wish to receive any direct marketing material or communications after you submit or provide your details, you will always be given an opportunity to do so.
We do not undertake any automated processing or profiling activities.
Disclosure of your information
Some of the information you provide to Hughes Bros. will be held on our computers in the UK and will only be accessed by or given to our staff (or staff of Hughes Bros. related entities) working in the UK. Some of the information you provide to Hughes Bros. may be transferred to, stored and processed by third party organisations which process data for us and on our behalf. These third parties may be based (or store or process information) in the UK or elsewhere including outside of the EEA. These third parties may include third party IT platforms (including cloud based platforms), suppliers of administrative and support services and suppliers of other specialist products.
We may also be obliged to disclose data under certain laws or by order of court or other competent regulatory body or may be permitted to disclose it under applicable data protection laws.
Finally, if Hughes Bros. merges with another business entity or divests a part of its business or carries out internal corporate restructuring, your information may be disclosed to Hughes Bros’ new business partners or owners or the new corporate entities.
We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely.
Protection of your information
We have in place administrative, technical and physical measures on our website and internally designed to guard against and minimise the risk of loss, misuse or unauthorised processing or disclosure of the personal information that we hold.
Where we transfer information to third parties to enable them to process it on our behalf, we ensure that the providers meet or exceed the relevant legal or regulatory requirements for transferring data to them and keeping it secure.
We will also ensure that where information is transferred to a country or international organisation outside of the UK / EEA, we will comply with the relevant legal rules governing such transfers.
We keep your personal information no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
You have certain rights in relation to your personal information, although those rights will not apply in all cases or to all information that we hold about you. We will tell you if this is the case when you contact us.
You have the right to request that we:
- Provide you with a copy of your personal information that we hold
- Update your personal information where it is out-of-date or incorrect
- Delete personal information that we hold
- Restrict the way in which we process your information
- Consider any valid objections to our processing of your personal information
- Provide information you have given to us to a third party provider of services (where our lawful basis for processing is consent and where processing is automated)
We will respond to your request (including providing information on whether the rights apply in the particular circumstances) within the applicable statutory time period. If we are not sure of your identity, we may require you to provide further information in order for us to confirm who you are.
Changes to this policy
We may make changes to this policy from time to time as our business and internal practices and/or applicable laws change. We will not make any use of your personal information that is inconsistent with the original purpose(s) for which it was collected or obtained (if we intend to do so, we will notify you in advance wherever possible) or otherwise than is permitted by applicable law.
How to contact us
If you would like to get in touch to discuss this Privacy Notice, how we use your personal information, to exercise your rights or to provide feedback or make a complaint about use of your information, please contact us as follows:
Hughes Bros. Smithfield Works Shrewsbury RoadOswestry Shropshire SY11 4JE
You can also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office via https://ico.org.uk/ for information, advice or to make a complaint.